PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAA-PPL
Thread: JAA-PPL
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2012, 00:33
riverrock83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of flying schools around Scotland. I suspect there isn't a lot of difference in price between schools. I'm enjoying learning in Prestwick - but that's a little far from you.

If you are interested in doing an intensive course - it is certainly possible in Scotland, and at one time was quite normal. Yes you could be unlucky due to the weather, with lessons cancelled, but I've had very few lessons cancelled during my training, and it does depend which airport you're based at. Mind you - I'm enjoying not having to hurry through the learning process!

Have a chat to some of the schools, some of which will be able to organise an intensive course for you.
You might be able to organise a better deal than what's advertised, but be very wary of paying up front as large numbers of schools have gone bust, taking student money with them. If you do pay up front, pay by credit card, so you can claim back the money.

To get the best value, most people do the ground study on their own from books. If you aren't doing an intensive course, you can then ask your instructor any questions you have as you do the practical training in parallel with the book learning. The law of averages suggests that you will complete the course in less flying hours if you do an intensive course.

When deciding where to learn, it is worth thinking about what you want to do with your licence once you have it. If you are likely to mostly fly in Scotland it would be best to learn in Scotland as you will be familiar with local procedures and geography from your instruction. If you do the course in the USA then you really need a series of lessons in the UK afterwards to familiarise yourself with the differences.

If budgeting, remember
  • Flight charges
  • Instructor fees
  • Exam fees
  • Medical
  • landing fees
  • equipment / text books (hint - ebay)
  • Club Membership
  • security pass (depends on airport)
  • accommodation / food / transport to / from airport
  • ongoing training / actually using your licence!

PM me if you would like a chat about the club I'm at - but its probably a bit far from you and since all the instructors are part time, you wouldn't be able to do an intensive course there.

Best of luck making decisions - ENJOY!!