PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flap retraction
Thread: Flap retraction
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2012, 22:34
tommoutrie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Mutt

I know exactly what an extended segment climb is - its impractical on the 601 as I explained before as I only have 5 mins at max thrust on one engine.

I think you are correct - the answer I need to get from Bombardier, and more importantly, find a generic answer, is if the flap retraction occurs at V2+x having been all engines operating to that point, is obstacle clearance guaranteed. Thats a useful comment and you're right. My belief is that given everyone on here agrees that its ok to take the flaps up at 400 feet that the answer is yes. Otherwise, why would it be ok to take flaps up at 400 feet? The gradient you get clean at V2+x from 400 feet has to compare favourably to the one you would get at V2 flapped otherwise you couldn't do it.

The gradient will be the same if you are V2+20 clean whether you are at 400 feet or 200 feet or 600 feet so how could it not be ok?

You would always have to leave the flaps in the take off configuration until you got to 1500 feet. And that is clearly not the case - I hope we can all agree on that.

I completely get that hardly anyone on here agrees with me but thats irrelevent - lets get proper answers from manufacturers and perhaps the now muddied waters will clear. I will let you chaps know what answers I get - hey, if I'm wrong, I owe a lot of beer! If I'm right, we all get a bit of info out of this.