PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Future Pilot Programme.
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2012, 21:03
FullTanks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Requirements vs Motivation

Despite my post above I am still receiving PMs seeking my opinion on individual cases. I'm sure you will appreciate that I cannot comment on anyone's particular circumstances. What I have sought to do is to encourage those with the right motivation and qualifications to take up this valuable opportunity, which some have waited for a decade to appear.

The academic requirements are specific and not dissimilar to those half a century ago. They act as a filter at an early stage and will save many the cost of the training school tests and the fee for a Class 1 medical examination. In the modern world an employer is entitled to expect more from a potential employee, especially when they can be very selective in their choice, from candidates who are falling over each other to apply for so few training places.

Many have written that, "I've always wanted to be a BA pilot, it's all I've ever wanted to do". That may sound quite trite in isolation, but it is obviously what motivates you. So what have you done to satisfy this motivation? There are a hundred ways that a lifelong interest in aviation and flying for a living can be addressed, no matter what your age, circumstances or even where you live. The highly motivated candidate will have spent many years seeking out these opportunities or engaging in aviation related hobbies - have you?

Having the relevant qualifications and all the motivation in the World will not be enough if the interviewers judge that you will not fit into the close confines of a modern flight deck. Ultimately they will be looking for those with whom they could spend 12 hours plus on an aircraft and perhaps a week or more down route. Personality and sociability have their part to play in the selection process.
I should add that I am not, nor have I ever have been, involved in pilot selection for any airline, but this is just common sense, not rocket science.

My apologies if you have not received a personal reply from me, I do hope you understand.