PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight - Should airline pilots have more/better/different upset recovery training?
Old 21st Nov 2012, 20:39
blind pew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
handling the big jets 1971 p319

There are too many senior transport pilots flying who have just about forgotten how to fly an aeroplane. The only way to put matters right is to give all airline pilots a couple of hours on an appropriate aeroplane, say, once every six months, so that they can practise limited instrument flying and refresh themselves with the confidence...
In comparative terms the cost involved is not large.
... A lot of people pay lip service to the cause of aviation safety, but actually do very little about it; this is one area where some positive advancement can be made.
D.P. Davies first published 1967.

incidentally 7strokes - I had been flying jets for eight years before I learnt constant angle approaches (courtesy of ex Lufthansa Starfighter guys) -having failed miserably doing forced landings (glide approaches) because the guys who taught me didn't know how to teach them whereas glider pilots have to do them all the time. As for glider aerobatics - they are far more difficult to perform than in anything with a motor and the training can be a lot cheaper. Apparently gliding is part of the Air France syllabus