PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - iPad Mini
Thread: iPad Mini
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2012, 19:13
Steve6443

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry guys, those of you who haven't tried Sky Map should try this. I love the fact that I can do my planning with Flight Planner and transfer it to Sky Map - which is available as an Android and iPad app.

Here is a picture of Sky Map, what I like most, which has proved a blessing to me, is the fourth square from the top on the left hand side which tells you the distance to the next airport and it's ICAO code - saves hunting around guestimating how far you are from the next airfield should ATC ask - plus a visual representation of the terrain and airspaces ahead of you.

What is also useful about Sky Map is you can program it to remind you when to change tanks - it might be just a small thing but anything which lightens my workload when flying the Archer has to be a good thing. Every 30 minutes I get a visual and acoustic warning - change fuel tanks....

I'm not going to get into a battle of Apple v Droid because I'm typing this on a Macbook Pro, I have an iPad and an iPhone 4S, having previously owned 3 other iPhones but seriously, the Samsung Note, because of it's size and the detail you can see on the screen at a glance, wins it hands down. The iPad is - in my humble opinion - too large to be yoke mounted, the Note offers significantly more viewing space without overcrowding the panel....

Concerning Apps: The main apps that I used on my iPhone / iPad - Flight Plan, Aeroweather, Weight and Balance Pro - are available either as direct 1:1 transfers to droid or similar apps are available in the Play Store.

Last edited by Steve6443; 21st Nov 2012 at 19:37.