PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Standard calls question
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2012, 18:49
Northbeach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great questions!

When trying to understand the term “standard calls” it is helpful to define the terms involved. “Standard” in this case means flight crews are required by standard operating procedures (SOPs) to vocalize specific parameters when they are achieved. For example, if during the takeoff roll the monitoring pilot is required to say V1 when the indicated airspeed reached V1 then when the pilot said “V1 (Vee one)” that would be the pilot making a “standard call”.

“Standard” does not mean exactly the same in all cases. A centimeter in the UK is exactly same as a centimeter in Brazil; the centimeter is a “standard measurement” and identical in both locations all the time. The word “standard” is the same, but the meaning is not. A “standard call” does not mean that the same thing is said at exactly the same time, in all airplanes, everywhere.

Further, because SOPs change all the time, what is a “standard call” today may be changed at some point in the future . So “standard call” does not mean a permanent instruction either.

Two different companies flying identical aircraft, even if they conduct business in the same language, may have completely different SOPs and have little if anything in common regarding which pilot says what and when during the normal course of flying. Yet each company would have their own “standard calls”.

Regarding your second question about “flow sequences”, “flight pattern illustrations” and “aircraft operating manual” without a better grasp of the context in which those terms were used I am unable to help. I know what those terms mean to me, but I can’t be certain how the author used them.

Respectfully,

Northbeach

Last edited by Northbeach; 21st Nov 2012 at 19:02.