PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TSR-2 (Merged a few times)
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2003, 23:09
GotTheTshirt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wub,

I just knew someone would come up with all the detail !! Thanks.

I was sure it was complete with wings and tail when we moved it from the bottom hangar, which is why I thought it had flown it -was THAT complete.
We parked it on the apron in front of the hangar and left so I guess the RAF guys de-winged it to put on the trailer.

MME,
We were demonstrating the system for the RAF ( so I guess they got the move for free )

The hover platforms on sat about 2 feet high ( except the one platform that had the power unit on - and that could be on any one of the platforms)

On top of the platform we then had the normal lifting air bags.
So we manoevered the platforms under the wings , and / or fuselage and inflated the air bags lifting the aircraft clear of the ground so it didnt matter if the aircraft was on its wheels or belly landed. Once the aircraft was clear we then started the hover units and the whole thing floated and was ready to move.
The units had no motive power so we then connected by cable to a couple of tractors and off you went. If you were where gound vehicles couldn't drive then you just ran a winch cable out from firm ground and reeled it in.

It worked as advertised on the ones I was with and of course completely air freightable.
It was of course expensive but the idea was to try and get the insurance companies to buy them and place them at key places. The sales pitch being that it cleared the airport quickly with no additional damage to the aircraft.

Must have been a good idea because no one took it up

Last edited by GotTheTshirt; 25th Jan 2003 at 23:29.