PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Beta Range
Thread: Beta Range
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2012, 16:45
Hueyman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mate.. " I think you need to lift the power levers as if you were selecting reverse in ground. It cannot be done in flight by just retarding to idle "

This is exactly what is crazy about that, that I cannot understand at all.. the PC-6 pilot I speak with confirms that he only retard Power lever against idle stop, but in no way lifting it toward reverse range.. this is why It's so hard to understand. Most part of PC-6 pilots don't know what is hapenning exactly when using Bêta in flight, some says the prop acts like a " wind turbine ", only slowing down the plane because it's moved by the relative wind, others said it flat pitch etc etc..

If you can reach flat pitch only by retarding power lever to full idle, that would be catastrophic in short final, if you - by mistake - retard that lever too far aftward..

So, I just thought there were kind of sensors, like the ones mounted on some regional turboprops, which allow Bêta or ground fine, or even reverse, when some pressure is sensed on the landing gear, meaning the plane is firmly on ground.. I thought on that kind of plane that would be something according to plane TAS, for example you can reach flat pitch when you're over 80 kts, but below, the low pitch flight idle stops are active again..

I hope I explain the thing clearly enough..