PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Future Pilot Programme.
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2012, 15:39
FullTanks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear applicants,

I have received a number of PMs and an e-mail since my post on page 10 of this thread. Please accept this as my reply to you all.

Hello,
Thank you for your kind messages and comments, and good luck with your applications.
Regarding BA as it currently operates, I have been retired for almost 10 years, so although I have a number of friends still employed I am rather outside the 'loop' in the operational sense. Despite what you may read on PPRuNe, BA are undoubtedly the premier airline in the UK, if not Europe, in stability of employment terms. Whilst pay scales, time to command and negotiated terms and conditions will inevitably vary over time, very few pilots choose to interupt their career path and leave for another operator because of them. Changes to plans within the industry often occur rapidly and unexpectedly, and are very influenced by World events - 9/11, war and conflict, fuel prices etc. - over which airlines have little or no control.
I would refer you to my previous post, which recommends ways in which you can brief yourselves on the current financial, strategic and operational areas. Include the Financial Times, Aviation Week and Flight in your regular reading, but probably the most powerful tool is the Internet, something from which I was unable to take benefit 45 years ago. The RAeS would welcome you as a member, as would the pilots' union BALPA, which produces an informative quarterly magazine. One of the talents BA should be seeking is a level of proactivity on your part; don't expect to be 'spoon fed' all the way to a cadet training offer.
(Where are you 'TalkPedlar'?)
Good luck.

Last edited by FullTanks; 21st Nov 2012 at 21:37.