PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic
Thread: Virgin Atlantic
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2012, 15:03
V_2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMI used to codesare with VS at LHR, providing significant pax traffic. Now BA control those routes, VS I imagine has lost most of this revenue stream; which I believe is the main reason Virgin has decided to start its own short haul routes where BMI used to provide so well. If this proves successful, it could well help turnaround its finances. Also, having some kind of shaul haul network/larger catchment area must surely help its chances of getting into an alliance?

they get rid of NBO route and months before it closes its busy in all classes.cargo was good but they used 340-300 which has weight issues on the route.
True, it was always very busy. And pax could not understand why a route that was always packed was being axed. Except that actually flights were being cancelled and passengers merged onto 1 flight. Instead of daily, towards the end it went maybe 3-4 times a week. Futhermore the 343's that served it are being phased out, and the new A330s are better served for other routes (like the extra new JFK thats starting, VS0025 I believe?)

CPT never been all year round, but now SAA has pulled off may see VAApick up on that. you never saw many south africans on VAA.
Actually, from experience, I'd say a good 50% + of pax were South African, although very often also dual nationality British/Europe/US green cards etc. SAA and VAA also codeshare, so maybe VAA will just stick to annually JNB and offer pax a connecting flight to CPT. Remember when not flying CPT VAA go ORD instead, which is another high yield service!

Interesting times

Last edited by V_2; 21st Nov 2012 at 15:13.