PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight - Should airline pilots have more/better/different upset recovery training?
Old 21st Nov 2012, 13:13
sevenstrokeroll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I beg to differ old chap

having one's hands and feet near/on the controls below FL180 is really not too much to ask. And One second is a long time when you are about to go out of control. Wearing a Nomex suit is a good idea. Indeed the idea of wool sox and uniforms is a good idea too...if I owned an airline all of my STEWS would wear wool instead of nylons and polyesters...I spoke to one STEW who's nylons caught on fire and burned her legs.

EVEN if my company didn't ORDER us to put our hands near the controls, my hands /feet would be right there.

I would ask that one additional topic might be added, use of assymetric thrust (jockeying throttles) to control a plane in trouble. The easiest way for me to handle a rudder hardover was to use assymetric thrust while getting things sorted out.

It boils down to this...someone coming out of WW2 had more acro and unsusual attitude recovery than someone today.

But we simply need to remind every pilot that an autopilot can go TANGO UNIFORM and the pilot is still expected to FLY THE FRICKING PLANE if airborne.

no, what do I do now?

Hand flying is easier to someone who knows how to do it and practices it regularly.

Last edited by sevenstrokeroll; 21st Nov 2012 at 13:18.