PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 21st Nov 2012, 03:04
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Popcorn and beer ready to go.

TD67 # 863 " In that case, it would probably be the transport ministry which has the responsibility to seek and ensure compliance".
From Hansard – my spacing. There is an excellent post on the DGA Norfolk ditching page which I highly recommend.: QSK # 603.

Senator STERLE: I am interested too. You did say, Mr Harfield, that you would do that if there was a recommendation from ATSB? Would you say that?

Mr Harfield: I think we need to put a couple of things into context. You have CASA, which is the air safety regulator that provides the rules and procedures we abide by.

We are there air traffic service provider. We provide services based on the rules and regulations that are set by CASA, so we apply the rules as set.

When another air traffic service provider has a particular issue, we have discussions with that service provider about the issues that we see. We are surrounded by 11 different flight information regions.

We are in constant contact with our neighbouring air navigation service providers. At the end of the day, we can talk about those particular issues but they also work under the jurisdiction of their safety regulator and apply the rules that their safety regulator deems. The fact is, this would be a matter for the civil aviation authority of New Zealand.

Senator XENOPHON: Please do, and regarding New Zealand as well. Regarding the Australian Aeronautical Information Publication, is the text provided to Airservices by CASA or do you control all of the editorial resources?

Mr Harfield: I will hand that to Mr Hobson to answer that particular question.

Mr Hobson: Regarding the content of the AIP, in terms of the text and the language used, in the main the author is CASA and Airservices is the publisher.

Senator XENOPHON: So you have to rely on what CASA provides to you?
Mr Hobson: That is correct.

Senator XENOPHON: Who is responsible for ensuring that material, which requires some sort of mandatory action, is properly based on a legal instrument and with an appropriate head of power?

Mr Hobson: The author, CASA.
Senator FAWCETT: You have highlighted a couple of times, and I completely understand, that you implement regulations that are made by CASA in many instances. If in your review of an incident you believe that there should be a change in the regulation so that you can implement it differently, do you make a recommendation to CASA that they look at that?

Mr Harfield: Yes, we do. We advise CASA and say, 'We picked up this particular risk associated with an incident. These are the actions that we have taken to mitigate that particular risk, but from a systemic point of view we would look at changing the regulations or the standards that underpin the regulations. We think that needs to be addressed to ensure that there is a systemic fix being made.'
Senator FAWCETT: Do you have a similar tracking system within Airservices to say, 'We have made five or however many recommendations to track if, when and how they are either closed out or still open'?
Mr Harfield: We would be able to advise which recommendations have come up and that we have passed on to, for example, CASA for further work and where that would be at.
Monday, 19 November 2012 Senate Page 11
RURAL AND REGIONAL AFFAIRS AND TRANSPORT REFERENCES COMMITTEE

Last edited by Kharon; 21st Nov 2012 at 03:05.