PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multicrew pilot licence numbers grow as it approaches proof of concept
Old 21st Nov 2012, 01:20
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Folks,
Given the very high proportion of pilots in major European and Asian airlines who have started off as cadets of one form or another, the very clear fact is that, looking at some 50 (yes! 50) years statistics, there is simply no accident or incident trend that can be sheeted home to pilots coming into aviation via cadet schemes.

If you looked at the underlying philosophy of the MPL, all it is, firstly, is an ICAO framework to standardize the many approaches to training cadet pilots and secondly, a way to recognize and utilise all we have learned about pilot training in that time. And that includes an appropriate mix of actual and simulated flight time.

To suggest that we should continue to train and license pilots essentially the same way as pre- WW II is just silly --- and flies in the face of 50 years of results achieved.

Tootle pip!!

PS: I was not a cadet, I came through a GA background, and had a very jaundiced view of ex- Hamble type cadets --- until I actually flew with them --- and found them no different to any other pilot, varying from very good through indifferent to "how did he get hired".

Last edited by LeadSled; 21st Nov 2012 at 01:21.