PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Infamous metmen/women
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2012, 15:48
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 431 Likes on 227 Posts
My personal blunders:
1. turning up at a night fly briefing, white stuff in hair and on shoulders, no white stuff in forecast.
I was going to quote that incident - were we at Gut at the same time (early 1980s) for that is where I experienced it, or a similar one!

How about the lovely Jan K. at Odiham who was asked to give a forecast, which she did. On the basis of that, the station snow clearance team were stood down for the weekend. Almost immediately afterwards it began to snow very heavily. About fifteen inches of the white stuff fell in a few hours, making the whole airfield, including the camp roads, impassable. What's more, it was so bad that the snow clearance team couldn't get back in because all the local roads were blocked.

The Linton Met man was taken to task by OC Ops one Sunday, for lighting a big smelly garden bonfire, which completely smoked the adjacent MQs out. The apologetic reply went along the lines of "Sorry, sir , I had no idea which way the wind was blowing.....!"

After your tale about the anemometer mast being too short, now we know why. And also why we poor studes found crosswind landings a bit tricky!