PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flap retraction
Thread: Flap retraction
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2012, 09:21
JonDyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BizJetJock
I think the root of the problem is that you are confusing a minimum with an instruction. V2+x (depending on type) is the minimum safe speed for flap retraction...
He's not confused at all. He is saying that it *is* an instruction and FWIW I think he's right.

He is saying that failure to comply in a timely manner degrades flight-path performance, burns fuel and increases noise footprint.

He is not advocating going against anything written in the AFM.

(Incidentally since we are all professionals here and since we have all known since PPL days that the AFM is the word of God herself, can we stop the straw-man arguments about "test-pilot" flying? Even the gashest cowboys I have ever shared a Cessna with know not to argue with the AFM. )

He is claiming - suggesting even in his Tom-like manner - that the height restriction is arbitrary, unnecessary, wasteful, and possibly came out of the mists of time as tribal-knowledge and has no place in modern ops.

It's a point of view that no one has properly knocked down though some have made balanced well-reasoned and informed arguments against.

Not much like a real PPrune thread then.

This should be locked.