PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 20th Nov 2012, 07:46
4dogs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy NZ Airspace?

Creamy,

One for an incisive mind...

Mr Hobson tells Senator X that the airspace over Norfolk Island belongs to NZ and that there is no Australian airspace there. But I remember that the Chicago Convention embodies a fundamental principle:

PART I.—AIR NAVIGATION
CHAPTER I.—GENERAL PRINCIPLES AND APPLICATION OF THE CONVENTION.

Article 1.
Sovereignty.
The contracting States recognize that every State has complete and exclusive sovereignty over the airspace above its territory.

Article 2.
Territory.
For the purposes of this Convention the territory of a State shall be deemed to be the land areas and territorial waters adjacent thereto under the sovereignty, suzerainty, protection or mandate of such State.
So I wonder how this is managed?

Given that the aviation law that applies to operations at Norfolk (Lord Howe, Christmas and Cocos) Island is undeniably Australian rather than that of the managing agency of the Oceanic Airspace, it seems likely that there is indeed some form of international agreement that deals with the transition of applicable law between Australia and, in this case, NZ.

Anyone know which government agency would negotiate and act as custodian of such an agreement? Apparently it is not Airservices!

Stay Alive,

Last edited by 4dogs; 20th Nov 2012 at 07:51.