PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multicrew pilot licence numbers grow as it approaches proof of concept
Old 20th Nov 2012, 07:43
Capt Hook

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V_2, I never said I was awesome; my remark was in recognition of the task achieved by such low hour individuals in remembering how hard it was when I completed my initial Airbus conversion, and that was with 14 years previous aviation experience; it was not meant as a criticism to any individuals, quite the opposite!

I have been in the training role for over 8 years now (Airbus), and my posting was based on those observations. Arriving on such large A/C, with such little experience, it is apparent that many individuals are still very much learning to fly.

We should not be using large commercial A/C full of passengers as a tool in order to train pilots how to fly and Land, rather, they should already have mastered these skills and it is then simply a case of applying the technique (conversion course). My experience is that the former is now prevailing over the later, and this is recognised by the myriad of restrictions now appearing in response to an increasing number of landing incidents.

What these cadets lack is experience, and after a couple of years they prove to be very competent operators; it’s how they gain this experience that is the issue!