PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Conscientious Objection
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2003, 13:47
Flatus Veteranus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I beg your pardon, Civilian, I tried to stay awake for that piece of docudrama and failed. I still find it impossible to believe, having
worked in the MOD as a serving officer and later as a civil servant, that the sort of criminal conspiracy you describe could happen there.

Having been subjected to clearance to the highest levels under the OSA, including regular investigations of my peronal lfe, I need no lectures from you on the rigours and abuse of the Act. Nevertheless, when I refer to men of honour I am not talking about politicians but about very senior service officers and civil servants. Making due allowance for a few human foibles (like a recent CDS's sexual peccadillo) I believe they are as near incorruptible as any public servants who have ever walked the face of this planet.

A very large number of servicemen are having to face up to the probability that they will soon be going to war. They are probably representative of the population at large in doubting that a sufficently convincing casus belli has yet been made. Nevertheless they have to do their duty. Warriors are usually driven, not by high-flown commitment to "God, Queen and Country". (Leave that sort of rhetoric to the politicians and bishops!) Soldiers, sailors amd airmen care above all for the good opinion of their comrades. Their self-esteem depends on not letting the team down.

I do not know what sort of game you are playing at on this forum, Civilian, trying to undermine the confidence of the services in their professional leadership. Perhaps you flatter yourself that you can spark some sort of revolt or mutiny. Well forget it.
You just come across as a rather silly (and semi-literate) little prat.