PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine Run Ups
Thread: Engine Run Ups
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2012, 09:27
taxistaxing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just want to emphasize that what I'm questioning is the procedure of doing run-ups before every takeoff IF the PIC has been sitting in the aircraft the whole time. taxistaxing mentioned a required runup after a full stop landing and taxiing back to the runway for another take off. This would mean, a touch and go will be inherently 'much more dangerous' - or do you perform a runup in that case as well?
Thanks for the clarification, K@8. In hindsight perhaps my first response was a bit strongly worded. Apologies if any offence was taken.

The reasoning behind the full run-up in the circumstances I mention is that the engine has been at low RPM for a few minutes during the taxi back, with carb-heat taken off as part of the post landing checks. Therefore it's sensible to at least check for carb-ice before applying full power. Since I fly a SEP and the "full" runup is only setting 1700rpm, T's and P's, carb heat and mags check, it makes sense to do the whole thing.

I'm also doing the night rating at the moment where the consequence of EFATO is certain death, which concentrates the mind !!!

As you say it would be difficult to do any kind of run-up check on a T&G . But then again during a T&G you go straight from idle throttle with carb-heat to full power so in theory there is no time for any carb icing to form. I suppose you could say a T&G is less dangerous than a full stop landing followed by another takeoff, on this basis.