PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2012, 08:43
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PA News: Some great nostalgia, bravo! Wonderful to see John. There have been a number of mentionings about John both on this and the Alan Mann thread as well as the 'Helicopter Flying Through Tower Bridge thread' but, I don't think there is a specific 'Crewdson thread'.

You've raised another British helicopter outfit with which I was unfamiliar 'Heliconair', evidently based in Darlinton, Durham. There was a time when I believed I was aware of the vast majority of UK operators from the 70's but .. this thread has fully erased that perception! Outfits such as Oldway, Masselaz, Alec Wortley, Kestrel and Freemans of Bewdley have all 'surprised' me. I suppose there must have been numerous smaller scale companies scattered about the regions and which by virtue of their 'vernacular' operations were not so well advertised. What it does demonstrate (as was evidenced by the UK's helicopter population in the 80's) is that the UK (relatively speaking) has keenly embraced civilian rotocraft operations over many-a-decade!

KT19: A warm welcome to the Nostalgia Thread. Please feel free to narrate any additionally interesting stories you may have from your days at Battersea (and elsewhere for that matter) including, especially, any antics that TRC may have embarked upon and that he may otherwise be reluctant to admit to, lol!

Pofman: I was curious as to the 'anomaly' which PA News could be referring to but concluded that it must be 'something' to do with the Hele-Tele although I couldn't think what! Please do convey any interesting moments you may have experienced during your time with Metpol driving the 222!

G-METB demonstrating her starboard accommodation of the substantial hele-tele system

More Twyfords ..

Twyford Moors Hughes 300 (269C) G-BBIW as seen at Greenham Common in June 1974 (Photo: Keith C. Wilson courtesy of David Haines)

Another Twyford's 300 (also sold abroad in the 80's) this time to the Netherlands in 1984.