PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Captains interfering with the FO's flying
Old 25th Jan 2003, 09:50
Barrelroll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rumbo and Seat 0A, I agree with you that some FO's are not up to standard and might require pointers from time to time, but such pointers have to be very tactful; or better yet, after the flight as a debriefing. If it is done any other way you will not achieve anything but disrespect. If you as a captain have to interfere or feel that pointers are necessary on a regular basis it means one of two things: (1) The FO is problematic and not up to standard, he must be reported and something must be done about it or (2) you are an interfering captain by habit. Look in the mirror and ask yourself which one is it? If it is the number (1), report the not up to standard FO to the chief pilot.

This is not only my viewpoint, I have talked to most of the FO's in the company and they all feel the same way about the interfering captains. Don't forget that I am looking at this very real problem (and an issue it is judged by the number of views this subject has recieved) not only from an FO's point of view, but from a Captain and a Training Captain's point of view as well. I am just not willing to accept it as an FO, because it interferes with general CRM principles (e.g. teamwork and a positive atmosphere) and therefore safety. Safety should be your number one concern as a commander.

Barrelroll