PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gloster Javelin
Thread: Gloster Javelin
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2012, 16:25
Rallyepilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Javelin radar AI-22 v AI-17

Like OK465, I, too, find single aircraft threads extremely interesting hence my request for Javelin crew comment on the attributes provided by having AI-22 equipment on board the Javelin rather than AI-17.

Being a night and all weather fighter (FAW), the Javelin and its pilot and navigator crew were expected to perform intercepts during day time and at night in all weather conditions at very high level all the way down to very low levels Therefore, in extreme weather conditions, the pilot would be concentrating on flying the aircraft and would almost certainly not be in a position to help with visual target acquisition. In such conditions, the task of target acquisition was handled by the navigator using the airborne intercept (AI) radar.

My understanding is that the the AI-22 was, in effect, a dual radar system. It had a search radar and a separate tracking radar which operated at a different frequency. The benefit of this was that if, due to target countermeasures and /or evasion, the tracking radar's lock was broken the navigator could immediately re-acquire the target by looking at the search radar function and, if desired, rapidly slew the tracking radar back on to the target. The other advantage was that by monitoring the search radar the navigator could easily see if his tracking radar was tracking the target or a chaff bundle. Once locked on, the pointing direction of the tracking radar was fed to the pilot's HUD/Gun-sight. By having the search and track functions operating simultaneously, the navigator was better able to maintain situation awareness and achieve uninterrupted view of the target thus making a successful intercept more likely.

With AI-17, if radar lock was broken, the radar had to be returned to the sector scan function to re-acquire the target. Under benign operating conditions (straight and level or mild turns) this would not have caused a significant problem and re-lock would / should have been fairly easily achieved. However, in extreme weather and operating conditions and if the target was evading and using chaff and/or jamming the problem would become much more difficult and a successful intercept less likely.

This is my theoretical analysis of the benefits afforded by having AI-22 on board instead of AI-17. But, I was a radar tradesman not a navigator and I really would like to hear from Javelin crew members if this theoretical analysis held up under real operational conditions.

PLUS: Any additional Javelin photos would be welcomed

Last edited by Rallyepilot; 21st Nov 2012 at 19:26.