PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND - 3 The new beginning
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2012, 11:38
Expressflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
asdf1234

It's sometimes said that longtime SEN supporters on this forum get too defensive and and dismiss the postings of critics excessively. Perhaps that is true from time to time, but some posts are just so exaggerated as to merit nothing less. Your last is a case in point.

The railway line that you mention is some 320m beyond the end of LDA on 06, with a fully paved RESA between the two. The dual carriageway is 300m beyond the end of LDA on 24 and has a 240m RESA between the two. I would suggest that the facts clearly show that your contention that these two features make SEN "a challenging airport to operate from" are simply nonsense. I had assumed that you were an aviation professional but I'm now beginning to doubt that.

Yes, the church is an obstacle infringing the instrument strip and is rightly promulgated as such. Can you name one operator who has chosen not to use SEN nor designate it as alternate because of this? EasyJet are hardly renowned for their recklessness as far as I'm aware.

Both LCY and SOU have runways defined as 'narrow' and both also have substantial physical features beyond their runway ends at lesser distances than does SEN, so why are you not scaremongering about them? After all, both have substantially more traffic than SEN does currently.

The reality is that some posters are by nature pro-SEN and others are anti-SEN, but both should surely try to restrict themselves to the facts of the matter under discussion.