PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - radio ham saves US plane
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2012, 10:50
FullOppositeRudder

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I hesitate to venture onto this particular forum, because in the strictest sense I don't qualify to do so.

However, as a radio amateur, I've followed this thread with considerable interest. I don't think there is sufficient specific information on the frequencies used in this event to make an accurate call as to whether regulations were broken or not.

If the communications were on a frequency outside of the designated amateur allocations then it becomes interesting, since in Australia anyway a person is not permitted to be in possession of a transmitter which can operate on frequencies other that those for which the operator is licensed. More specifically (and realistically) it is not legal for a licensed amateur to possess an (amateur) transmitter capable of transmitting outside of the designated amateur band allocations, unless of course he is so licensed to own and operate that equipment. It gets messy.

If this event took place outside of the designated amateur allocations and it comes to the notice of the licensing authorities (as it almost certainly has), then I would expect that a courtesy call to the station owner would be made and certain technical matters discussed and checked.

As a complete aside, I once had a very interesting and unusual AR contact with a licensed amateur who was aboard a commercial flight and who was at that time a guest in the cockpit of the aircraft and who used the aircraft HF equipment to go onto the 20 metre amateur band. It was a long time ago, and obviously he had friends in high places. It would never happen today.

FOR (now QRT)