PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flap retraction
Thread: Flap retraction
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2012, 09:55
tommoutrie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont know where it says it but I have L/D curves for it and although its slightly slow (but not very) its close to it.

Hello Gaunty - All the net take off flight path stuff refers to one engine inoperative operation and the thrust of my posting this in the first place is that I don't think training organisations like Flight Safety do, in fact, teach what is in the manufacturers books. I think they get so fixated on engine failures that they teach a normal take off incorrectly. I think operators don't really know or care what they put in their SOPS and because the CAA don't approve that bit (they only accept it) they don't care either.

However, I think it is actually important. Flown the way that everyone currently does it we make more noise and degrade the flight path and use more fuel. Not much more, granted, but some. And in a plane like a Challenger if you save a little bit near the ground and carry it to height it takes you a little bit further..

Also, nobody has actually said what their plan is should an engine fail when they are at 1000 feet, take off flap still set, V2 +50 ish. At V2+50, are you still on the required SID gradient? Who knows - your rate of climb is pretty good but your forward speed is much higher so you don't actually know. Then, if you don't have a plan as to what you are going to do, how can you be sure (or prove to the authorities in a theoretical way) that you will stay above the PDG?

My belief is that FSI and the ilk have simply missed whats going on here and confused the OEI situation and the all engines operating situation.

Am I convincing anyone or is this just rubbish?