PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flap retraction
Thread: Flap retraction
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2012, 00:47
tommoutrie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no problem. For the case where the aircraft is one that cleans up at V2+10 lets go for the CJ. The process in the CJ is if you take off with flap 15 and happen to have an engine failure you continue at V2 up to whatever platform height you are able (engines are limited to 10 mins for the later ones and 5 mins for the early ones at max thrust). If you make 1500 feet you fly level, accelerate to V2+10, clean up and climb away at that speed to your 10 minute engine limit where you reduce thrust to max continous, accelerate to Venr, and then continue the climb as necessary. In reality, most people just accelerate at the 1500 foot platform to Venr and climb away clean from there. If you look at the charts for a flap 15 take off and a flapless take off the 2nd segment climb gear up OEI is always better for the clean condition and it just so happens that the speed for the flapless condition is almost exactly the V2 +10 of the flapped take off. Which is why you are supposed to retract the flap passing V2+10 when you have all engines operating.

I'm currently on the Challenger and its exactly the same for that except that I don't have clean take off tables for it because you can't do it. However, if you plot the L/D of any commercial wing you will find the reason the flap up speed is what it is is that is where the L/D curves are closest. Venr is the enroute climb speed single engine and you use that once you've run out of max thrust time and have to go to max continuous.

Which aircraft are you on? I'll get the manuals and have a look at the actual pages for your type to make sure I'm not talking balls and if I am I will post over the cash