PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R-22 Rescues Model P-51 from Trees
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2012, 20:56
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Devil

Agri...whatever your name is (is it some kind of bacterium?)

There was a time when I would denigrate an operator for doing this. Of course it smacks of poor professionalism, poor airmanship, la di dah...

But there was also a time when some lightweight helicopters were built for this purpose of wazzing close to the ground, dodging trees, water skiing behind them, doing aerobatics for the fun of it...

He got away with it - therefore he's (for some readers) a good guy. Next time, he'll clip the rotors and die - and for the rest of the readers he'll be a bad guy.

I think the reason I don't denigrate him (this time) is because he comes across as someone who "appears" to talk the talk and "appears" to handle the job in an orderly fashion with consideration for the surroundings.....I get the gut feeling he's an old and bold, been it done it and comes from that era where helo's were treated like expensive toys.

He's simply out of sync with the modern world's current way of thinking. And for that reason, he shouldn't have done this in public [or at the very least, not recorded the damn thing by sticking a camera in his damn cockpit???].
And he most certainly shouldn't have done it with a passenger on board...but doing what he actually did (hovering close to the top of a tree to pick something off it......no big deal edmondo)