PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Beverley C1 XH122 of 30 Sqn, 1959
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2012, 18:41
BEagle

Received 277 Likes on 112 Posts
No problemo!

Back in 1966, I struggled to get more than a couple of miles out of either the 38 set or the vastly better 88 set.... Broadcast radio was BBC only (the few remaining pirates were soon to disappear), most people only listened to MW/LW and TV was 2 channel black and white 405-line VHF. Vinyl was king as far as music was concerned, with a 2-side single costing 6/8d. The 'musicassette' was just about to make its presence known...

15 years later, I was getting twice the range (and often considerably more) on any one of 40 FM channels in the 27 Mhz band car-to-car. Broadcast radio now included FM stereo and commercial FM stations; TV was now 3 channel colour 625-line UHF, with Ch 4 about to launch. Stereo cassettes were selling well, but weren't much use except in car stereo systems...and something called 'CD' was about to appear!

15 years after that and I could call from my car in the UK to the crewroom at MPA on GSM phone. Radio hadn't changed much, just a few more commercial stations and BBC Radio 1 on VHF. But TV now included dozens, if not hundreds of satellite-based TV channels..... CD autochangers were in virtually every car, although many still had cassette systems as standard.

15 years further on and the Internet has revolutionised the world. You can make videocalls to any part of the world; radio from anywhere is available with a few clicks of a mouse and the concept of fixed-schedule TV whether from satellite, digital terrestrial or Internet platforms is becoming history, with the proliferation of video-on-demand systems. Every kid has a smartphone and thousands of music tracks stored on an iToy.....

Whatever will the next 15 years bring?

Last edited by BEagle; 17th Nov 2012 at 18:57.