PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea heli ditching: Oct 2012
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2012, 14:51
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
On the subject of 225 emlube, the problem seemed to be insuffient air pressure to activate the switch even with everything in-spec.

I just wonder if the group who designed the emlube system didn't talk to the MGB designers and so didn't realise that the crew would already have reduced to Vy and so didn't realise the engine would be running slowly hence low P2.4 air pressure.

An expeditious crew, faced with sudden double pump failure, would turn the IAS down to 80kts then the next action is to press the SHOT button to activate the emlube. 225 decel rate is 2kts/sec these days I think, so 150 to 80 is 35 secs plus a bit at each end, so after at the point where EMLUBE failure is being detected the engines are likely to be down around 20% total torque. I wonder if the EMLUBE failure is latched (once its on it stays on regardless) or momentary (would go out if pressure switches activate again.

Maybe the answer is to operate Training Idle switch #2 to get eng 1 working harder. I can just see that going into RFM section 3!