PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seniority in the Qantas Group
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2012, 03:39
mohikan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This submission is a tactic by AIPA in relation to the very significant redundancies that will occur after the new contract is arbitrated next year - it has nothing to do with the reality or otherwise of the group seniority list.

Such a list will never exist as Qantas is ideologically opposed to it. I will bet that no mainline pilot is ever able to join JQ or QLINK under such a mechanism, not now. Not ever.

Let me explain.

With airframe and flying program reductions the mainline pilot group will be somewhere between 500-700 pilots overmanned by the end of 2014. Wildcards are the 280 or so currently on leave of absence and the 280 or so over 60's.

In any other company such a surplus of personnel would be managed by redundancies, but Qantas is ideologically opposed to paying pilots out. This has been stated time and time again by senior company IR and management figures.

So Qantas has wedged itself - it won't pay for surplus employees to leave, and it also won't ever agree to a mechanism where said employees might be assigned elsewhere in the parts of the group that are still rapidly expanding.

I understand the "if you don't like it just resign from QF mainline and apply for JQ / QLINK ect ect like everyone else", but why should an existing mainline pilot make it easy for QF to get rid of them ?

If they want us gone they can pay like every other business has to.

The endgame with this is about redundancy payouts and nothing else. Its about AIPA being able to present an argument to FWA that it has proposed a fair and reasonable way of managing the surplus pilot numbers, and Qantas will not agree to this due to its pig-headedness.

Once you view this issue through that lens, then it takes the heat out of the lies and disinformation spread on other fora such as aircrew.net