PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2012, 21:49
PANews

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Sanity Returned

I was seriously doubting the date and my sanity.

I have just returned from the loft with the 3 inches of clippings covering Met Police 1939-79......... phew..... shows I seriously need to digitize even more of the massive collection.....

Anyway Evening Standard Tuesday September 4, 1973 is the dated cutting with the image... four figures by the aircraft... including Sergeant Ron Potter of the police unit who supplied me the copy about 20 years ago.

Earlier in the binder is an extract log listing Mike Smith as flying Hughes 500 G-AYNK on 22/1/73 and a 'brand new' G-BAEH on 7/3/73. That same log sheet shows Gaye Absolem flying G-AYLX on 22 December 1972. I mention her only because she was probably the first ever employed woman police pilot.... always a bone of contention these 'firsts' but I am sure she has the accolade.

That earlier image of a Point to Point 300 may fit in with the Met Police contract January 24 to February 14 1975.... there were six short-term contracts brought in after Twyford Moors went bust in 1975. Buut I seem to recall they also worked for some other police units on a one-off basis ..... back to the loft?

I have just checked back to the text in the online book and yes the 1974 date relating to Air Gregory should read 1973. I will get it changed as soon as I can. I need to clarify the source relating to the Rally... different binder, back in the loft!

Last edited by PANews; 16th Nov 2012 at 22:15. Reason: Additional information