PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea heli ditching: Oct 2012
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2012, 21:27
Colibri49

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll leave my good colleague Biggles (Oh! I see that he's replied already) to continue our battle to gain your understanding, but I'll also reiterate something which seems to escape the attention of many.

There are two separate faults to be sorted out by EC, but neither one directly affects the other until the unthinkable and unpredictable events of May and October (perhaps slightly more predictable after May).

The external emlube system works just fine, except that a pressure switch (or switches) is probably set at the wrong value and tells the pilots falsely that the emlube system has failed.

The cracks which allowed the bevel shafts to drop off the bottom of the main shafts in both ditching scenarios have never manifested themselves before in over 4 million flying hours using the same shaft design.

Something got changed relating to factors affecting the shaft in the last 18 months or so and when the shafts failed, this exposed the latent problem in the pressure switches of the external emlube.

Two separate problems ! Both must be sorted out to everyone's satisfaction before the EC225 resumes normal operations.

Last edited by Colibri49; 16th Nov 2012 at 21:29.