PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 16th Nov 2012, 21:09
Up-into-the-air

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
casa and Industry

and Gaunty, I don't disagree with you in what you say, but after 25 years personally in a State Govt. Dept, where the basis was to co-operate with those requiring the service or within the regulatory framework: I have found that there are some in casa who attempt to "work with the industry", but they are a rarity.

In most cases, casa are just dismissive of problems raised with them and seem to protect their "favorites".

However, that is one of the problems - complete inconsistency.

In my work with casa, when issues are raised, then followed up, replies, despite numerous requests are slow or non-existant. The following are three areas that are of concern that demonstrate these difficulties with casa and it's inability to work with GA .

The big end of town, Gaunty, as you report is OK [?????]

1. Failure to respond to safety concerns:

Fuel contamination in 1999 [This was my first example of how CASA does not co-operate to deal with safety issues.]

I reported a fuel problem some 18 months prior to the AVGAS grounding to CASA. I never received any reply from CASA, despite this, I followed the matter up with both Mobil and CASA, with no reply. Further research shows other organisations being “blamed” by CASA, when engines failed and in a similar fashion to myself, and then having action being taken against their AOC’s.

It seems that CASA avoids it’s responsibility when serious safety concerns are raised.

SDR system:

I am aware of a serious deficiency, reported under the SDR system as required by CASA, of an up-lock hook and a seven month delay in the return to service. The matter back to the maintenance organisation, after finding a further two aircraft affected in a similar way, and grounding of 5 aircraft [no CASA requirement]. The problem was defined by a service bulletin, which the maintenance organisation failed to adhere to during routine service.

I reported this to CASA, but there was no further action by CASA, despite there being some 198 similar aircraft that could be affected, no AD or AWB was issued.

The matter still has not been acted on with the maintenance organisation.

ATSB/ BASI:

There are numerous SR’s [Safety Recommendations] which are ignored by the regulator.

This situation is becoming much more marked after the issue of the CASA/ATSB MOU [memo of Understanding]