PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - radio ham saves US plane
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2012, 17:05
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Checking a little more, the AA 720 on the pictured log sheet was cancelled on October 29 (and 30 and 31) so it seems odd that it is listed with a 'mayday' notation.

I've never flown a B-738 but I would guess that most of them in domestic service don't have HF's installed.

Similarly, United's flights from Dublin to Newark and Dulles were cancelled on October 29 so it wasn't one of those that diverted to Boston. And, United doesn't fly DUB-BOS as far as I can tell. There is a UA 319 scribbled on the log sheet, it operates a BOS-DEN leg, did Denver get confused with Dublin in the reporting perhaps?

But UA 319 wouldn't be audible on VHF in the UK and again probably wouldn't use HF even as a backup on that route. Was Benny listening to internet scanner feeds over liveatc.net and passing info to ham emergency HF nets that were indeed operating on the U.S. East Coast that evening?

Anyway, UA 319 also didn't operate on October 29 as far as I can tell.

Somehow, this story as presented just doesn't add up. I feel that it is either a very misstated report of what actually happened or total BS that might fool an Irish reporter but not most of us here.

Would you trust a Ham operator in his shed?

There speaks someone who has not the faintest idea of what is required to become a licenced Amateur Radio Operator in the UK (and elsewhere.)
I got bored one weekend a while back and bought a couple of books by Gordon West WB6NOA with the questions and answers for the U.S. amateur radio Extra Class license test. I missed one question but otherwise easily passed as I recall. Seems like I had to take two or three written tests in succession, it's been a few years, I'm not sure. Reminded me of those 'FE Writtens' that the U.S. airlines used to list as a hiring requirement. Morse code was suddenly not required on the ham license after some rule change. After getting the Extra Class license and listening to the folks whining about the proverbial 'aches and pains' on 40 meters I kinda decided it wasn't for me.

Last edited by Airbubba; 17th Nov 2012 at 01:36.