PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATIS at UK Airports
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2012, 11:01
FRatSTN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATIS at UK Airports

Most UK Airports have an automated voice for their ATIS and in the vast majority of airports, is that distinct male, almost robotic or darlek sounding voice. Through my travels I have now heard quite a long list of ATIS's in the UK and have noticed that a handful of them (namely Aldergrove, Birmingham, Blackpool, Bristol, London City and Prestwick) seem to transmit lower pitched voice than the others and perhaps a little slower in speed as well, despite having that same "darlek" sounding voice as Heathrow, Stansted, Edinburgh, Liverpool, Belfast City or virtually any other UK airport you can think of!

Does anybody know why this is??? It can't be to do my with proxitety to airports, because when at the airport itself, the distinct difference in ptich still occurs and also can't be to do with the size of the airport because the list gives a range of different sized airports and also can't be to do with location because there are also airports in both rural and urban locations in that list so I can't think of any other reason as to why this happens! Not really that's it's that important, just curious as to why?