PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying with Ear Infection?
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2012, 09:38
Ds3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying with Ear Infection?

I've had a good search, but whilst there are many threads on the topic, none have really given me a straight forward answer.

I've currently got an ear infection, first time I've had one and I'm not particularly impressed! It's nothing major, just pain in one ear which the doc says is around the ear drum. I've been given antibiotics (amoxicillin) which I started taking yesterday.

I've got the shareoplane booked for Sunday afternoon for a local flight, during which I won't be going above 3,000ft max and won't be airborne for any more than two hours, probably less.

I understand that with ear infections there is a risk of rupture as you cannot equalise with the pressure changes. However, it seems this problem is more related to middle / inner ear infections, and I'm assuming mine is an outer ear infection?

I know better safe than sorry etc, but I'd like to fly on Sunday (wx permitting) if it really doesn't represent a risk. I'm also hoping that three days of drugs should go a long way to kicking it in to touch. So should I be cautious and stay attached to terrra firma, or given the nature of the infection etc is it a zero risk (well, as much as aviation ever is) adventure?