PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Application and Info
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2012, 07:47
Calmcavok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll start with a caveat, I'm not an emirates employee! But like you, have recently applied and have researched hard most of your points, this is what I understand thus far:

What is your average monthly/ yearly take home?
The salary is quoted on the website, I'm not sure about the extra allowances, though the salary quoted is based on an assumed number of hours/month. If the hours achieved change...

Is it adviseable to take the accomodation provided or source your own; i would be coming as a single F/O. What is the cash alternative, and if you take the cash, do you still get the company contribution towards your utility bills.
From advice I have had, take the accommodation provided in the first instance. Once out of provided accommodation there's no going back. After you have settled in to Dubai and worked out where you'd like to live, you can make a more informed choice.

Would it be possible to come back to the UK once a month for a weekend?
I think that's perfectly possible, however the flights are very busy. Back up tickets on other carriers would be advisable!

What are the rosters like?
This is fleet dependant. Also the more time you take to really understand the bidding system and then the amount of time you spend crafting your bid each month is proportional to the quality of your roster.

Regarding staff travel, as I have no dependants, what is the viability of flying friends out to visit you and how many discounted tickets do you get and what is the discount?
As far as I understand there are only discounts available for relatives. I think the only carrier i the ME that offers staff tickets for friends is based a short drive south of Dubai.

Which fleet offers the quickest command?
As a new joiner, I understand that's slightly academic, as at the current plan the time to command is limited by the move to the new airport and the next big expansion which will follow. Therefore, without big expansion at DXB or significant attrition, it'll be over 10 years. I'd be delighted to hear otherwise though!

Which fleet is the best for lifestyle- I prefer stopovers and futher afield destinations.
As a new joiner (assuming the A380 won't be offered), it has to be the 777.

I know most of this stuff is already buried in Prune, but I'd also be interested in other replies!