PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Piper Navajo/Chieftain in Australia
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2012, 05:55
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We bought PDN used in the late 60's too long ago to remember the exact date or whether it 2 bladers on. It joined RTO and RTN both new. i seem to recall that we eventually made them all 3 bladers as the NW strip were murder on the props.

VH-RTO

In their day they were the ducks nuts.

Last I saw RTO was a very tired fuse laying up against a fence at YMEN, dunni what happened to RTN. I see PDN still soldiers on. They were a great private owners aircraft and properly cared for probably still are, just make sure the elevator springs and bob weights are secure.

Dont know where the photos from those days are but I found RTG an Aztec on google whilst rumaging around. It was one of 25 aircraft we operated thruout WA, C411. C402, 3 x Islanders, sundry C206 and C210, Drover FDS, Aztecs, Commanche 260, coupla Super Cubs for mustering, a Twin Commanche oh and I nearly forgot the 3 Doves bought from the RNZAF Queens Flight disassembled in boxes for $15,000 the lot and reassembled by some of own engineers who had done their apprenticeship in building them in the UK. I think gentleman Duncan Cumming our Chief Pilot had actually flown them when he was in the RNZAF.

Despite the Cubs being a brilliant mustering aircraft they weren't a brilliant choice for the NW, the livestock had a sweet tooth for the esters in the fabric, which also wasn't as tolerant to scrub as ali.

VH-RTM

VH-RTG

DE HAVILLAND DROVER VH-FDS in which Harry O'Neil gets a mention. The disadvantages of a tailwheel on a busy primary airport were demonstrated when one of the more 'adventurous" pilots tried to mate it with an airline huffer cart.

Its all too long ago, time to go pick up the grandkids from play skool.

Gotta give credit to;

Ed Coates Aircraft Photographs just found it and a great archive it is, although some of the facts might not be completely accurate, the pics are great and brought back some mostly fond and some not so memories. the Terminal in the back was built by Murchison sadly now pretty derelict after all these years.

I guess you might find one of your old darlings there.