PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light signals
Thread: Light signals
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2012, 22:16
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Imagine you were in a terribly stressful situation where you have almost no mental capacity left and you would have to look down on your chart to read these tiny dots and dashes, because you can't otherwise identify a nav aid.
I agree in principle that you need to identify a navaid after tuning. But in a very stressful situation, where I would need to free up mental capacity, it's one of the first things I would skip. Belts and braces are fine, but not if it means you screw up in another department.

Furthermore, I found that by knowing just eight or so morse code letters (A, B, E, M, N, O, S, T come to mind right now) I can verify (note: not "identify" but "verify") 90% of the three-letter identifiers because at least one of the letters is in the right place. For the rest, well, there's a list of morse codes on my kneeboard somewhere. I know it's not foolproof but it's good enough for me.

As far as the light signals are concerned, well, you need to learn them for air law, and then forget about them. Green = good, Red = bad and white means something along the lines of "do nothing, return, we want to talk to you". But in reality the VFR comms failure procedure for the majority of controlled airfields is to leave the CTR and fly to an airfield where they can receive non-radio traffic. And these uncontrolled fields will not give you light signals anyway. (But if you squawk 7600 chances are that the FIS for your area will place a "heads up" call to the uncontrolled field, so they know you're coming and can warn other circuit traffic.)

(And the light signals, in the unique case that you do need them, are printed in all the flight guides anyway.)