PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Compact GCU
Thread: Compact GCU
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2012, 15:47
Pilotage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Compact GCU

In an ideal world what I'd like is a compact and self contained air conditioning unit, probably run off a small APU-scale gas turbine engine and run off AVTUR, then connectable to an aircraft's cabin air, most likely through an external GCU connection.

In a really ideal world. it would be small and light enough to be manhandled into an aircraft hold, and out again at the other end when we have our jet sat for hours on some hot pan in the middle of nowhere and want to keep the cabin temperatures down.

Yes I know, most people will run an APU to run the aircraft's own a/c, but we have reasons for not doing that (specifically a lot of energy intensive kit on the jet that also needs to run on the ground, and the APU hasn't enough grunt to do both). Yes I also know that many people will just hire a GCU, but in many countries that's really not possible, particularly as most operators now will use the APU for cooling.

Does anybody know if this amazing device exists anywhere in the world, and if so where I can get hold of a salesman for one?