PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage - wall street journal
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2012, 14:15
EMB-145LR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many of you are actually flying in the airlines in the USA? I am, and I've flown in the UK previously too. The markets are so far removed from each other that even I couldn't believe it when I first moved here.

There is already a pilot shortage at the regional airlines and it's just going to get worse. American Eagle (currently in chapter 11) and Republic Holdings are both offering $5,000 signing bonuses in addition to their meagre first year pay. People simply aren't turning up to classes or interviews. Hell, when I moved to the USA after getting married two years ago I was hired instantly at the first job fair I attended. The interview was a joke, but as I met ATP mins, had jet and turboprop experience and had a pulse, that was good enough for them. I ended up with five job offers at various regionals within the next two weeks. My current airline is considered to be one of the best regionals out there, although that really is an oxymoron. We can't fill our classes. Management have openly told us that they are concerned about what they are going to do next year when the majors start hiring.

Don't be fooled, there is no shortage at the major level, but down here in the regionals it's already well underway and over the next five years it will spread up to the majors. The USA is facing the perfect storm, the 1,500 hours rule, age 65 retirements and new rest rules requiring 20% more pilots all come into force next year.

I doubt the country will open it's boarders to foreign pilots unless it's through marriage or other legitimate family means, but there is a shortage coming.

I see no hope of returning to Europe in the medium term for myself and my wife, no matter how much we want to. The industry is as DOA there at the moment.

By the way, Gulfstream Academy did take on foreign pilots for their line training course in the past, but none were ever offered visas or employment, and certainly none of their foreign pay to play pilots ever made it to CAL or any other major without having a green card or citizenship. Thankfully Gulfstream are now Silver Airways and no longer offer that programme.

Last edited by EMB-145LR; 15th Nov 2012 at 14:17.