PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iberia to Lose 4500 jobs - 25 airframes
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2012, 09:07
Propellerhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The tragedy is that Iberia employees are spending all their efforts blaming BA rather than trying to find a way out of this mess. I think they've suddenly realised it's too late to do anything, the horse has bolted and they're screwed. What the management is doing is a disgrace, outsourcing all it's work to low cost. It's a disaster for the industry. If only the company and unions had worked together like BA and BALPA have, to progressively change Ts&Cs, then this could have been avoided, maybe. But then again maybe not. BA very nearly did the same with bmi, and Spanish employment culture has always been one of more powerful unions that say no. Unfortunately, airlines have worked out it's cheaper to simply go around them than bother negotiating with them.

I also think the problem is that the Spanish have always played by their own rules of management that relied on government subsidy which meant they could bend to the whims of the unions without worrying too much about that thing called profit. Or shareholders.

I think what's really upsetting people is a northern European has come in and changed the rules, demanding profitability, and ignoring the unions. Globalisation crash lands on a former sleepy hollow. I think it is a shame they weren't given more time to adapt, and that the Spanish government has brought in laws which are being exploited to outsource jobs to low cost. Even in the UK it would be illegal to sack a load of employees and bring in new ones on low Ts&Cs - it's called constructive dismissal. How is this happening in Spain?

Last edited by Propellerhead; 15th Nov 2012 at 09:13.