PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2012, 07:49
TRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...lifted from Battersea only to have the jesus nut come loose
I've not heard of that one!

A 206 did go into the river within swimming distance of Battersea after the engine stopped. Very early 70's, before my time there.

Another one went into the drink off the barge in the city, late 70's - don't remember the cause though.

XD
Well, I didn't even remember it being August let alone which year. I deduced - probably incorrectly - that the Ted Heath VIP flight would only happen if he were PM. Someone will nail it officially, but wish I still had the newspapers.

The mud was very soft for the first foot or so, but firmer below that. You can see a few boards we put down in the photo.
A mobile crane from the wharf next door clattered round and lifted it onto the platform - no exciting underslung loads - quite a dull recovery really.

Floats

I saw several 206 & 206L either arrive with popouts blown, or blow them on the ground. GU may have been one of them.
Had to help a very well-dressed lady over a float when the things popped in flight - she got a fair coating of French chalk no matter how careful we were.