PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - crop spraying and banner towing after ATPL training??
Old 1st Mar 2002, 00:24
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WWW:

Yes, WWW I am telling you that a low time pilot can start their aviation career in Ag. flying. My first flight as a paid commercial pilot was in a J3 Cub spraying tobacco in Southern Ontario. My total time was 252 hours. The company for whom I worked gave us a very in depth training course before sending us out to work. Also for your information they selected three of us from a starting pool of twenty five pilots on the course.

You are also mistaken as to the difficulty or lack thereof flying Ag. airplanes in Canada, in fact we have some of the most difficult flying in the business especially the tobacco fields of southern Ontario due to their small size and many obstacles such as tree lines.

Your insertion of the JAA rules is a red herring because JAA is nothing but a hinderence to aviation, and I can assure you it does nothing to advance Ag. flying. You guys have it and you can live with it just don't try and sell that B.S. to the rest of the world.

Now back to Cloudn9ne and your question, yes you can start your career in Ag. flying, Banner towing, Glider towing, instructing or anything you really want to do. What your employer will look for is your attitude and flying skills plus a desire to work. Before you take any advise you should seriously examine who is giving the advise and what their knowledge of the subject truly is.

Airline flying is an excellent career, however it also is fraught with risk of loss of employment, even after many years of employment. Therefore it is to your advantage to pick up every skill in flying that you can get. If you are an unemployed airline pilot you have a far better chance of finding work if you have other flying skills to offer.

Having spent my life in aviation here are my thoughts. Ag. flying was hands down the best flying job I ever held, airline flying is very structured and boring. Now that is only my opinion. ( Oh, by the way I found the Airbus to be a facinating multi colored video game that was exceptionally fun to fly. )

I can remember the thrill of my first job like it was yesterday and would give anything to be your age and start all over again alas it is impossible but I am with you in my thoughts. So you go get everything you want because you can if you really try.

............ . The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no.