PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defect Reports
Thread: Defect Reports
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2012, 16:50
Hugh Mungous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capt CB, I have another hypothetical scenario..

An aircraft is on the ground at an unmanned outstation. During the Crew's pre departure inspection they notice a large fuel puddle under the number 2 engine.
There is a 'hold' coupon in the technical log that describes a fuel leak from an engine control component that is within the manufacturers limits at 28 drops per minute. However, due to the volume of fuel on the tarmac, the crew determine it is significantly greater that the documented leak rate, and have concerns that they may be observing a new defect.
Maintenance watch is contacted, and inform the Crew that there is no static leak rate limit for the original, documented fuel leak. The annotated leak rate of 28 drops per minute is measured with the engine running, and they declare the aircraft serviceable..
What then is the Crew's thought process in regards to evaluating this situation? Where by the only way to determine the origin and rate of the leak is by opening the engine cowling and carrying out a maintenance procedure.
Capt CB, I'm not trying to pick a fight. I genuinely appreciate your response. I have numerous other "hypothetical scenarios" from birdstrikes and lightning strikes to flight control and thrust reverser anomalies, but I'll try not to bore you with any more of my "imagination" today...

Last edited by Hugh Mungous; 17th Nov 2012 at 01:19.