PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R-22 Rescues Model P-51 from Trees
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2012, 13:57
FH1100 Pilot

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
Okay look, the "problem" is not what the CFI did. Retrieving an RC plane stuck up in a tree? ZZZzzzzz. Big deal. The problem is how he went about it.

It was obviously an instructional flight, and the guy in the right seat is obviously a non-rated student. When the CFI notices the RC plane go into the trees, he grabs the controls and without even clearing his turn he begins to circle around. During the turn he impulsively makes the decision to go "rescue" the model plane. The student agrees.

Without much planning, the CFI makes an approach to the tops of the trees. No circling for a bit to figure things out, no checking the wind (although it appears the wind was pretty calm that day), no checking for obstacles/wires, no high/low recon, no nothing. Just ZOOP! down into the trees he goes! He asks the student to clear his tail. After retrieving the object they land and hand it over. Full of adrenaline, ego and good cheer, the instructor gives the controls back to the student who makes a very quick departure without so much as any sort of pre-takeoff checks.

I have a little problem with this.

First of all, it sets an awful example for the student, who may be inclined to pull the same sort of stunt after he gets rated. That CFI clearly is deficient and substandard, teaching all sorts of bad habits to his students. He should be re-evaluated by the FAA.

Me? I would've taken my time and figured out in advance how I was going to do it. I would've gone slowly. I would have come to an OGE hover before getting into the trees. I would've cleared my own tail or I wouldn't have even attempted it. Now, I'm not saying that I would've taken all day to do this thing - I just would not have rushed it as fast as the CFI obviously did. And I've got tons more time than he.

Finally, I hate...REALLY REALLY hate people who just "pull and go" on takeoff. What's the rush? Take your time, man. "Okay, gauges are up, lights are out, we've got plenty of fuel and the wind....ahhh, there's not much wind so we'll go out this way. You lift to a hover, check hover power and if all is still well, then you go. Is there any other way? When I was at PHI there were days when I'd do 70-80 flights per day. And I'd do that little pretakeoff check before EVERY one of them, even if I had just landed to drop off one guy and was only down at idle for a couple of seconds. You don't rush. Rushing gets you killed.

If the pilots that school is turning out fly like that CFI, we're in trouble. Because he is teaching them some very bad philosophies, habits and techniques. Sure, helicopters can do plenty of things other than fly straight and level from one airport to another, but we have to operate them safely. And what that CFI did was absolutely not done in a safe, prudent or professional way. It was clear showboating for an impressionable student (who now thinks he's a skygod) and some people on the ground.

A bad, bad deal all around. Shameful.

Soapbox Mode: OFF