PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2012, 08:30
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bravo Denissimo!

On the latest page of the Wessex Thread there is a photo of a MkV Wessex departing Battersea while overflying a Hughes 300 which is quite literally stuck in the mud.

As mentioned in the photograph's caption, this craft was G-AXXD which served with Twyford Moors Helicopters from 1970 to 1981.

PPRuNer PA News has offered some excellent commentary on this incident and which warrants a further look at this little craft (below):

Twyford Moors Hughes 300 (269B) 'somewhere' on 29th April 1971 (Photo: Keith Harper)

The hangar behind 'XD' says 'Glos Air' who, if I remember correctly, were based at Bournemouth's Hurn airport and who I think used to look after some of the late Spencer Flack's aircraft (he of G-FURY, G-FIRE and G-HUNT) but I don't know for certain whether this image was taken at Hurn or elsewhere? Tywfords were evidently based at Southampton.

Another Hughes 300 which was 'floating' about at the same time was G-BBIP. This was a 269C which was owned by Point-to-Point Helicopters of Watford between 1973 and 1978 and seen (below) at an undisclosed location wearing police markings; presumably for police trials or even a small police contract:

Point-to-Point Helicopters Hughes 300 at an undisclosed location (no date available)

One notices that this craft wears the BHAB logo as (so I think) did the UK's first civilian Gazelle.