PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea heli ditching: Oct 2012
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2012, 06:34
OneManBand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Facts straight

AbzOilWorker,

Our operator had not had any incidents as I believe they have excellent maintenance procedures.

We have received very little in the way of information as to what the problems actually are with the gearbox issues which only serves to enhance the fear of flying as a passenger in one.
Just to be clear as you're right - information is key:

1) All three operators (at ABZ) have excellent maintenance procedures in accordance with the manufacturers specifications and approved by the CAA.

2) All three operators employ HUMS, analyse the data and refer back to the manufacturer on discovery of any issues.

3) All three operators share an equal risk of having "an incident" - lady luck seems to cast her wand at will. Just because an operator has not had a "recent" incident does not mean they're not going to have one.

4) The ditching of G-REDW in May was caused by a failure in the the MGB module (and subsequent failure of EMLUB) - this is a sealed unit that comes from the manufacturer - NOTHING to do with maintenance procedures. Lady luck deemed that it should be in a red helicopter. HUMS had detected a rising trend - the MANUFACTURER dictated a "close monitor".

4) After the ditching of G-REDW, BOND began a program of communication to customers and workforce - this was well accepted widely.

5) The ditching of G-CHCN in May was caused by a failure in the the MGB module (and subsequent failure of EMLUB) - Lady luck deemed that this time it should be in a red/white/blue helicopter

5) After the ditching of G-CHCN, CHC put out information regarding the incident and what is being done to mitigate risk - I suggest you ask your company reps / OIMs etc to request similar of Bristow if you feel that you're not being given sufficient information.

6) Eurocopter have provided an area of their website for you to track the incidents and what they're doing about it: EC225

7) None of the three operators would willfully shortcut maintenance procedures - this would be commercial suicide.

8) All three operators cite "satefy is our primary concern" - of course it is - see #7

9) No pilot will take an aircraft if they have concerns over it's integrity - our desire to get home is far greater than your desire to get to work - trust me.

Having worked for 2 out of the 3, I speak from experience and have intentionally avoided praising one / slating another. Please, let us stick to the facts and avoid finger pointing. I would be very careful about "thinking" that one operator is better / worse than another.

The manufacturer is currently working to identify the problem, rectify it and ultimately rebuild confidence in it's product.

Once this is achieved I shall have no qualms about flying the 225 again, although I must confess to wanting some convincing arguments that the problem truly is rectificed rather than a guess at some affected serial / part numbers with a cursory limit on flying hours based upon how long it has taken previous modules to fail.

The problems to be resolved are simply: prevent another MGB shaft failure; and, providing an EMLUB system that is fit for purpose.

Just remember, if the guy up front is happy to take the aircraft, then you should be happy to get on board.

The commercial fixed wing world suffers maintenance / failure issues similarly yet we all take flights to go on holiday, don't have the chance to, or the inclination to question the pilots, maintenance procedures and credibility of the operator.

The North Sea is a unique environment in that respect, and that should give you some comfort.

OMB

Last edited by OneManBand; 14th Nov 2012 at 06:35.