PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Single engined take off in a Gulfstream!
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2012, 03:05
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
412SP

You are of course correct.

Sh!t still happens.

Vale Brian Quinn, lets see what the NTSB has to say.

But in context Fedex operate 250 of them in all sorts of ****ty weather and are probably going towards 4,000,000 hours operating them over the last 20 years.

Couple of itmes on interest from the Kansas City Star.

Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Tony Molinari said. Quinn was attempting to return to the airport when the plane went down about two miles south of the airport.
and
The FAA was on scene Tuesday, Molinari said, but the National Transportation and Safety Board will be the lead agency in the investigation.

The Caravan is one of the safest general aviation airplanes in operation, said David Dewhirst, head of airplane management company Sabris Corp.
In the past 10 years, there have been seven accidents due to engine failures, none of them fatal.
During that time, the Caravan has been involved in a total of 61 accidents, seven of them fatal. All fatalities were due to pilot error, Dewhirst said his research shows. This was the first fatality from engine failure during that time, according to his data.

Now you might say this is the press but Kansas is where it all happens as far as GA aviation is concerned and you can be sure the reporter would use reliable sources if he values his job.
Thats not for me to judge, but Dewhirst's comments are about how I understand it, I used to work for the Cessna distributor in Australia and had a fair bit to do with the introduction of the type and the ASEPTA certification here.

At the end of the day it's always a risk calculation!

Getting a bit off thread and for those unitiated, Part 25 types >12,500lbs, are required by certification rules basically to be able to coninue the take off beyond V1 meet predetermined obstacle gradients for a return or to the destination if a return is unavailable. its a fascinating design exercise, for those interested, of tradeoffs.
Getting to V1 unscathed is the trick. You might want to go have a look here.

FAR. Part 25
Title 14: Aeronautics and Space
PART 25—AIRWORTHINESS STANDARDS: TRANSPORT CATEGORY AIRPLANES
Subpart B—Flight
§ 25.107 Takeoff speeds.

This might help explain whay the abovementioned got themselves into a bad place.

i am always personally amazed how few pilots of said Part 25 aircraft have any idea of how the certification process works and what it means for them. They mostly default to following the numbers in the manual, as they should, but without understanding the consequences of making it up as they go along and becoming test pilots in the process.