PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defect Reports
Thread: Defect Reports
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2012, 00:40
hadagutfull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fascinating thread.... For my 2 bobs worth it's not about the ability of the people concerned , it's about the rules we are professionally bound to follow.

As I understand it, all defects are to be recorded in either the cabin or tech log. The pilot / lame will ensure all airworthiness defects ( MEL ITEMS) are entered into the tech log.
The crew may apply the intent of any MEL that does not have an (M) requirement.
A permissible defect will be covered by an MEL, EA or MM/SRM/TSM REFERENCE.

This applies to manned or unmanned ports..
Yes.. Always good to run it by MAINT WATCH either way if its an unmanned port. Even if just to give the next port a heads up.

Simple as that isn't it?????

As for pilot maintenance, if the rules allow it, you can do it . BUT, it does state that u will have been trained to do it. Within the QF SYSTEM I presume that would involve classroom training and some prac training by a qualified instructor , and a record of that training available for any audit or legal purpose.
Not to mention any possible recurrent training.
Can any pilot out there eg 737/A330/767/744/380 shed any light on that for us, as I really don't know what u have or have not been trained on.
We never had this problem when we had Flight Engineers on board hey ;-)

As for engineers, for them to get what was known as a "transit authority" on a type they were not rated on, it was an approved course and prac training with an approved trainer, which allowed only certification of transit check items. No application of MEL, no defect rectification.

We are all bombarded with legislation, regulations, policies, procedures etc etc. I fully appreciate that. It's a minefield of ambiguities, grey areas and conflicts.
These forums are a good place to throw it out there for discussion. I may learn a thing or two from u guys.
We are all going through tough times and frustrations are showing on all sides. Pilots and engineers are on the same team. We have a common enemy. Lets work as a team.

Cheers.